Paracetamol is a remarkably safe analgesic for mild to moderate pain. Unfortunately it is commonly taken in overdose. Many of the 100–200 deaths occurring annually in Britain arise because patients present too late for effective treatment1 with methionine or acetylcysteine, which are only effective when given within 16 hours or so of ingestion of the drug.2,3 Pameton tablets (Winthrop) contain paracetamol 500mg + dl-methionine 250mg which is intended to protect the liver and kidneys in acute overdosage.
Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.