Article Text

PDF
Management of serious paracetamol poisoning

Abstract

Several hundreds of people die from paracetamol overdose each year, many perhaps unnecessarily.1 Serious poisoning usually follows acute overdose but can also occur in patients with severe pain taking large doses (over 10g/day) on consecutive days. A single dose of as little as 10g can cause hepatic or renal failure. The outcome is determined by the amount taken and, more importantly, by whether the patient comes to hospital in time for treatment to be effective.2 Chronic alcohol abuse,3 malnutrition, or taking enzyme-inducing drugs increases the risk of liver damage.4,5

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.